The maintenance of a tankless water heater prolongs the durability and efficiency of your water heater. One can make use of his/her water heater for years, only by keeping it in its good condition which can be maintained by following the set of tips and instructions recommended by the brands, manufacturing these appliances.
WHY TANKLESS WATER HEATER NEEDS TO BE MAINTAINED?
- For maintaining a tankless water heater, you should keep the water heater neat and clean because over time, it can accumulate the sediments of minerals which appear to erode the walls of the water heater. The damage to the walls, ultimately leads to the inefficiency of the heater.
- To keep your heater efficient, you must maintain its cleanliness and must flush and remove all dirt and mineral deposits from it, at least once in every year. It will definitely ensure the prolong life time of your propane tankless water heater. Read more about propane tankless water heater reviews if you are going to buy one.
FOLLOW THE GIVEN STEPS FOR MAINTAINING A TANKLESS WATER HEATER:
- In the cleaning of a water heater, first of all you need to disconnect its main supply, if it’s a gas water heater then shut off the main gas supply and in the case of an electric water heater; the electric current must be turned off. Now, it’s safe for the person performing the cleaning process.
- Next to it, turn off the 3valves, by closing the valves , the cold water will no more be able to flow in to the water heater and the already hot water present will not be coming out during the cleaning time. The three valves which are turned off are actually colored differently for keeping the difference. Usually, the blue valve is for the cold water, a hot water valve with red color, and the third valve runs water finally to the home where it is required. You can do it for rheem tankless water heaters as well. Find the best rheem tankless water heater if you are going to buy one for your home.
- Third step is to overcome or remove any pressure, which has been built up in the valves. This is done by removing the valve caps of purge port from the two purge valves which are located on both the cold water valve and hot water valve, which we have already turned off. This removal will also prevent the splashing of the hot water upon your skin. For safety purposes, the hot water valve must be completely shut off to avoid any skin danger to you. While doing this step, the handling of caps must be done carefully, so that rubber washer sealing discs must stay in their place because these discs are really important for the proper functioning of the valves.
- After this, attach the hosing lines to each of the three valves which must be long enough that can reach easily between the water heater and the bucket.
- Now, open the purge port valves in the perpendicular pattern to the position of cold and hot valves.
- Use undiluted white vinegar (2.5 gallons) for the cleaning of your water heater; it is used instead of any chemical cleaning solutions because the undiluted white vinegar is not at all harmful to your health. Now, re-start your tankless water heater, by following the instructions given in the manual by the brand, of which the water heater you have bought.
- This procedure takes 45-50 minutes.